I know that getting up for Monday is not always an easy thing to do. Then there are other things that may get in the way of you running your online business such as fear, stress, anxiety, loss of motivation, and just a plain old blockage of the mind. All of these things can lead to you being less productive or sometimes just plain feeling like you want to give up. Believe me I have been there and I know how hard these things can affect you.
Why does getting up on Monday suck so much?
So what can we do to help alleviate some of these feelings, you know those productivity killing moods? Well here are a few tips on what can help to help you get back into the productive mode:
Besides learning to control your breathing through meditation and being positive through smiling and being grateful, there are some other things you can do to help with anxiety. If you are experiencing anything with anxiety at all you should visit a doctor. I get a lot of anxiety during uncertain times,
- Some good things are to get a quality good sleep with enough time, eat all the right things, and play hard.
- Go out and De-compress away from it all and take in a sunset but just make sure you are free from the distractions of the digital world. I love to sit out in the back on the deck watching the sunset or sit at a roaring fire in the fire pit and just stare.
- If you have a pet, spend some time playing with it, or petting it has shown to help reduce your stress levels. This always works for me.
- And finally if you can get out and talk to people, to loved ones, your spouse, or others you can confide in. The once you are done take some time and just shoot the breeze.
- Someone told me once, that if you are faced with a problem think of the absolute worse possible outcome. Then plan to do everything you can to prevent that outcome. After I do this, things dont seem to bad.
Many things that help anxiety also help with stress. There can be a lot of stress in owning your own business especially if you have employees or others to worry about. Sometimes these stressors can be present and you dont even realize it. So things like meditating, smiling, serving others can, like with anxiety, help reduce your stress levels. But there are some other things you can do:
- This one is said a lot but it really helps. There are some times where I get a huge headache, and I think it is because I am staring at a screen for so long, but if I go outside and take a walk it usually clears up. I also love yoga, no matter how much stress I have if I do 20-30 minutes of yoga my stress just melts away.
- Find a passion or hobby you can do when you start to feel stress coming on. This can help you to alleviate stress by switching your focus. I take some time to build model ships and I have been building one for a year but it is completely relaxing because I take my time and dont worry about when it will be done.
- Sometimes you just have to get up and dance. You know listen to the music you love and move a little bit. No one says you have to know how to dance you just have to love the music you are listening to and shake your body.
- Can you smell what the world is cooking? Sometimes a good way to get rid of stress is to go out and sniff pleasant smells. I love the smell of chocolate, certain flowers, and eucalyptus.
- And finally a little organization can go a long way to making your life easier and stress free.
Sometimes it is hard to go back to doing stuff on Monday. Especially if you work for yourself because it is so easy to just sleep in a little or put your Monday off till Tuesday. But one thing about working for yourself is you have to be disciplined with your time. You have the freedom to do whatever you want with your time. But I can tell you from experience if you get everything done at the beginning of the week it makes the end a lot more fun. So lets look at some things to help get you going Monday morning.
- Make sure you get a good nights sleep Sunday and you do something for yourself to celebrate the weekend and bring it to a close.
- When you start Monday morning try and eat your favorite breakfast, drink your favorite morning drink, and give yourself plenty of time to get ready as you may be a little slower.
- Take your time and ease into your routine. If its a sunny day take a few minutes soaking up some vitamin D. One way to get slowly into the day is to make a to do list and work on it.
So sometimes I just lack plain motivation and I dont want to do anything. First I have to determine if it is because of stress or anxiety and if so I try and alleviate the issues that have led to them. If not then I try and get back on track with some of these ideas to get back your motivation:
- Maybe sometimes you just need to step back and take some time to think about your work, business, or life. Dream a little bit about what you want and dont worry about going overboard just dream away and let your mind run.
- Understand why you are unmotivated, were you having an issue with someone, a fight, did someone do something or say something negative about your business? These things can bring a lot of pressure on you and make you feel depressed, angry, and hurt. When feeling these emotions its hard to want to do things.
- If you are really stuck try doing something small and the reward yourself. Write a quick thank you email to someone and then take a little walk. Do something a little more difficult and again reward yourself. Eventually you will be able to get back on track.
- Ground yourself again, remind yourself you are unique and that you compare to no one. Then let your true self shine again and get back on track with displaying yourself to the world.
- Try and do some new things and break free of your daily routines. Just because you do things the same way every day doesn’t make it right. Sometimes a little change can break up the doldrums and get you motivated again.
Many times I will be getting ready to work on a blog or website and my mind will be completely blank. I can sit and sit and nothing will come to mind, literally. So I have some up with a few good tips on how to reboot the mind or prepare for these situations in advance:
- If you need to reboot your brain one good way is to go out and do something fun and creative. Maybe go and do some finger painting, building a sand castle, or make a mud pie. The whackier and more creative the better. This helps to reboot the mind and get you back in thinking mode by not thinking at all for a while.
- Take some time and write a love letter, note to a friend, or a dairy of events to a family member.
- One way to keep from having writers block in the future is to write in your mind. I have heard that most authors are always writing in there head and then when they get down to putting it all on paper they have a great idea of what to write.
- The last recommendation I have is that when you are in a creative mood you should make sure you write down all of your ideas in a program like Evernote or save the titles as a draft in your WordPress blog. This will help insure you always have material to write when you need it.
So when running your own online business you may find that you encounter one or all of these productivity sucking forces. And that’s OK, because we all do. The true test of your desire and resolve is that you push through and remember that you can do this. Just keep swimming and you will achieve your goals.